Thursday, November 29, 2012

Authors galore!

Today I thought I would share a few pics of the authors I've met (of course through book signings) over this past year. Actually I have to start with one from 2011. That was the first time I ever went to visit an author on their book tour. Since then, I've discovered a fun new past time. It's just as fun to meet authors as it is to read their books. It makes me feel closer to the world and characters I become fond of...I'd highly recommend going if you haven't before.

So first....introducing! Meg Cabot!


She's the author of many many many books, including the famous The Princess Diaries. Meg was one of my first favorites in the YA genre. I've recommended her Mediator series (http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/05/ghosts-redo.html), Ransom My Heart, and Abandon ( http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/06/ya-sub-genre-rec-tag-10-12.html). Most of the books I've read by her are contemporary, but I especially enjoy her paranormal books. I don't think I can say I haven't enjoyed a single book I've read by her. They include:
The Mediator Series
Abandon Series
Airhead Series
Avalon High
1-800 Series (books 1-4)
All American Girl Series
How to be Popular
Pants on Fire
Teen Idol
Insatiable Series
Ransom My Heart
Foretold (an anthology, including her short story Out of the Blue)

Meg has written well over 50 books and other short stories. She has a fun, quirky personality, and knows how to relate to children, teens, and adults by seeing the world through their eyes and making it enjoyable to read about at any age.

Next.....Marissa Meyer!

(Marissa is on the left. Unfortunately I did not ask for a picture with her.)

She is the author of the The Lunar Chronicles. The first book in a four book series is Cinder which I've recommended here:  http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/04/cinder.html
Marissa is sweet, intelligent, and she writes one heck of a blog. I love reading her author tips. They can really help aspiring authors when they are feeling both up and down in the writing and publishing process. Check her blog out here: http://www.marissameyer.com/blog/



Now introducing........Danny Marks!



He is the author of the newly published Velveteen.

(I love this cover!)

Description: "Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that's not the problem.
The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it's not a fiery inferno, it's certainly no heaven. It's gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn't leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what's really on her mind.
Bonesaw.
Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she's figured out just how to do it. She'll haunt him for the rest of his days.
It'll be brutal . . . and awesome.
But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen's obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she's willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.
Velveteen can't help herself when it comes to breaking rules . . . or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her."

Here are my thoughts on it: I would give this book 3 and 1/2 stars. I don't normally give a book five stars unless it's changed my life. So, Danny's book is almost a four. I was a little hesitant to read it, since I knew going in that it had elements of horror in it (generally not my style), but I enjoyed Danny's vlogs and personality so much, I just had to read it.
The main character Velveteen, is a true warrior and guardian. She doesn't take crap from anyone, and knows how to get a job done; in this case, take care of the "good" souls in Purgatory by keeping them safe, whilst kicking the "bad/banshee" ones out of human hosts and helping those poor souls who are lost find their way to Purgatory; and she's a smart mouth (but in a fun way).
Then there is Velvet's salvage team, who provide support when she goes kicking naughty souls back to Purgatory. They consist of the twins (a brother/sister duo who are both smart, cunning, know it alls and mature beyond their years), Quentin (an extremely shy, lovestruck teen, and Kipper (a jokster, "part-time Salvage trainer", and all around tough guy...when need be). And there might be Nick (a lost soul/love interest). He has Velvet's back, doesn't mind being led by her, won't be easily pushed around, and adapts wells. And he's extra hot.
I liked these characters and seeing how they interact around one another. You get to know some of their back story, which you don't always get for secondary characters.
The plot, although very interesting and a concept I haven't read about before, was a bit confusing at times. I thought this, because the characters are often running around Purgatory and the Earth plane trying to accomplish a multitude of tasks. They get one thing taken care of and then another problem occurs almost immediately. This direction of various plot lines doesn't always sit clearly with the reader; but the more you read, the more you can see the connections clearly. I would say, this was the only thing that bothered me about the story....and maybe the gory parts. Though, in all honesty, it did not freak me out quite like I had anticipated. Don't get me wrong though. Danny has a way of describing without describing. Kind of like how Hitchcock showed you things without letting you see them.
And lastly, there's Bonesaw. Creepy, pyscho, very realistic. I wanted Velvet to get her revenge just about as much as she did.
I would like to read the sequel. It doesn't quite exist yet, but I know there could be one. Danny leaves room for more, but it's not a cliffhanger ending, which is nice if there isn't a sequel.  

Danny also vlogs regularly on two YouTube channels, his personal channel: DannyMarksYA, and as Sunday on the YARebels channel. Check both out for laughs and books galore! P.S. follow him on twitter for food nom!

Next!......Tahereh Mafi!

(Me and Tahereh)

She is the author of Shatter Me (it's the book she's holding in the pic above). Check out my recommendation here: http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/04/reading.html
I love Tahereh! She's so funny and witty. I follow her on Twitter, and let's just say, her tweets are a treat. And her writing is compelling. Plus, she has great fashion sense. Check her out!

Next!...........Veronica Rossi!

She is the author of Under the Never Sky. I've recommended it here: http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/05/ya-sub-genre-rec-tag.html
I loved how original this book was. And I love how sweet Veronica is. She's also loves painting, so I feel like I can relate to her more. It was great meeting her in person and have her answer some of my questions about her book.

Finally! give a round of applause for.......Richelle Mead!



She is the author of the Vampire Academy series and the Bloodlines series, which I highly recommend here: http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/05/twitter-and-vampires.html
and here: http://twitterslife.blogspot.com/2012/11/ya-sub-genre-rec-tag-16-18.html
When I think of Richelle, I imagine a small woman with a chill personality, glazed over a secret femme fatale/kick butt heroine. She's funny when she wants to be and sweet to all her fans.

All the authors I've mentioned, I also follow on Twitter. It's a great way to learn more about them as people and writers, and to find out all the ins and outs of writing, publishing, and when their next book comes out (including fun giveaways, pictures, snippets, book tour info, etc). Send some love and follow them.

I hope you have enjoyed this post. And if you have not read the books mentioned above, please....do yourself a favor....READ THEM!

Hope your day is bright!
- Olive juice
 

  

No comments: