Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ghosts redo!

I feel horrible. How could I forget the most awesome ghost series? I'm ashamed to call myself a Meg Cabot fan. I'm sorry Meg!!!!

Anyway. I must correct my recommendation (not that I don't agree with the two other series I previously recommended. Still do. You should read them). But....there is a series that is chock-full of ghosts and I love it! I don't normally read a series more than once, but I think I've read this series three times.

The Mediator series by (you guessed it) Meg Cabot.
Don't let these sweet, colorful covers fool you. This series is amazing!

Description (book 1): "There's a hot guy in Susannah Simon's bedroom. Too bad he's a ghost.
Suze is a mediator-a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations.
But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy. There's a ghost with revenge on her mind.and Suze happens to be in the way."

Recommendation: YES! Shadowland is the first book I ever read by Meg Cabot (she's the author of The Princess Diaries). The main character Suze is so witty, rebellious, snarky, fashionable, and she kicks butt. I think if I were to be any character in a book series, I'd want to be Suze. Her life is super hectic, what with all the ghosts haunting her, moving in with a new family on the opposite side of the country, and dealing with the dead guy in her room. Wouldn't you be stressed out? 
The upside is that Jesse (said ghost) is so ideal (for Suze of course. who did you think I was talking about?). He has that certain thing guys sometimes have (especially in YA books) where they are the epitome of calm and maturity. So basically guys who have been around a long time. a.k.a elves, faeries, immortals, and ghosts. What teenage girl doesn't dream of finding a super hot, youthful, mature guy...with an accent. Did I mention his accent. It's like butter. 
But besides Jesse...he's not the only reason I like this series. Is that what you thought? Shame.
Anyway, each book is centered around Suze, as she tries to adjust to her new life and family, while simultaneously trying to solve a new mystery that inevitably involves ghosts. They're everywhere! She's a heroine for sure with lots of attitude. This series is fun to read, sort of Nancy Drewish in the solving mysteries (and some murders) department. There's lots of action, some romance, the ever popular "trying to fit in", and teenage angst. Who doesn't love a dose of teenage angst? 
If you've ever read a Meg Cabot book, you'll love this series. READ IT! 





Here's me with Meg Cabot. I went to a signing of hers a while back for her (adult paranormal) book Overbite. She signed my copy of Shadowland, which I will cherish forever. 

Go here to read the first chapter of Shadowland   http://www.megcabot.com/mediator/mediator_shadowland.php

-Hope your day is bright
Olive juice

No comments: