Friday, April 27, 2012

Legend

Legend by Marie Lu... 
(Right: US cover Left: UK/Aus cover) personally, I like the UK/Aus cover best. Which cover do you like?
Description: "What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets."


Opinion/Recommendation: I enjoyed reading Legend. June and Day are an interesting mix and have unique character qualities. They both possess a strong sense of leadership as well as a tendency toward rebellion (I find this unique because they share the same qualities..not the typical opposites attract). And they both have a keen eye for spotting little details. I enjoyed watching them sort of dance around one another, taking note of each other's similarities and weaknesses. As for the storyline, you know I like dystopian novels, so I was all for the rising-out-of-the-ashes and fighting-for-what's-right plot. Some of the plot was easily guessable, but that doesn't bother me too much, cause then i feel smart (haha). But it flowed nicely from one scene to the next and didn't linger on the mundane things in life too much (just enough to add a sense of reality). I especially liked June's memories of her brother, Metias. Even though he's murdered, you get a sense that he's very much in the present. I grew an attachment towards him through June's feelings and descriptions, so in that way, you feel closer to her character. The same goes for Day, but I can't say why without spoiling the story. So...
Would I recommend this book. Yes. It's fun, adventurous, mysterious (I'm still not entirely sure what the evils guys have planned up their sleeves...need book 2!), and romanctic. It also has a lot of action/fighting for any guys who might be interested in reading it. 

So that's all I have to say about Legend except that I'm looking forward to see what happens in book two, Prodigy, coming out January 29, 2013...oh! the wait. Thank goodness for other books. 

oh...and a little
Sidenote: Last night I watched The Vampire Diaries. Holy smokes. Did anyone else want to cry? I almost, nearly did. And, I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in Klaus. Did you notice his little fit of anger when Caroline shot him down? He's almost reminds me of a twelve year old boy. Doesn't he realize he needs to practice wooing without getting upset? I was happy to see Elena and Stephan dancing together. Also, I loved the song "Be Still" by The Fray. It made that moment between Alaric and the rest of the cast so special. What did you think???
 

...Hope your day is bright
Olive Juice 

No comments: